The Proteins section is involved at a local, regional and a national level in providing test results for a variety of different patient groups.
National Renal Complement Therapeutics Centre
Nationally, the section provides diagnostic testing for the National Renal Complement Therapeutics Centre (NRCTC), including a number of novel assays used for monitoring the effectiveness of Renal Complement diseases, such as atypical Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome (aHUS).
NHS Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia (SCT) screening programme
Regionally, Newcastle Laboratories are commissioned by NHS England to provide the Newborn Screening for Sickle Cell Haemoglobinopathy programme as well as the Antenatal Haemoglobinopathy and Thalassaemia Screening programme, also providing confirmation services for other laboratories in the region.
Local Hospital and GP Practice Services
Locally, the proteins section provides diagnostic services for the various directorates as part of the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, including the Regional Immunology and Allergy Unit and for our local GP practices. These include the assays below:
Serum electrophoresis for Myeloma screening
- Paraprotein Typing
- Paraprotein monitoring
- Serum free light chain testing
- IgG Subclasses
- Oligoclonal Banding assay
- Haemoglobin variant quantitation
- Sickle Solubility
- Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency Screen
- Zinc Protoporphyrin (ZPP) assay for Iron deficiency anaemia
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) assays for Factor 5 Leiden and Factor 2 Prothrombin genetic defects
- Complement assays
- Functional assay for the Classical complement activation pathway
- Functional assay for the Alternative complement activation pathway
- C1 Esterase Inhibitor levels
- C1 Esterase Inhibitor function
- Complement Factor H levels
- Complement Factor I levels
- Complement Factor B levels
We are constantly looking to improve our services and develop our testing repertoire in conjunction with other areas of Blood Sciences and the wider pool of laboratories within Integrated Laboratory Medicine so if you don’t see the test you’re looking for in this list, please check the Test Directory page.